Acne is one of the common disorders, commonly affecting teenagers mainly on the face and back. The following factors cause acne:
- Oily skin or dead skin cells They clog the opening of the sebaceous glands. This leads to accumulation of sebum in the sebaceous glands and in turn acne or pimples.
- Propionibacter acne : This bacteria is implicated in the acne formation.
- Inflammation: It occurs after the action of bacteria and forms whiteheads, blackheads, papules, pustules.
- Increased sebum secretion: It is secreted from sebaceous gland under the influence of hormones.
Causes of AcneSome of the most common causes of acne in teenagers or adults are as follows:
- Oily skin
- Hormonal imbalance
- The side effect of some medications like steroids
- Stress and faulty dietary habits
- Polycystic Ovarian Disorder in females
Treatment of AcneIt depends on the grading and severity of acne, e.g. mild acne, can be treated with the help of face wash and creams. In contrast, severe acne needs oral medication like antibiotics and retinoids and investigations. Lifestyle changes help reduce acne. Acne (pimples) is a common problem in teenagers and adults. There are certain aggravating factors for acne:-
- High glycemic diet, for example, chocolates, cakes, sweet drinks, refined food items like biscuits and bakery etc.
- Use of excessive cosmetics like occlusive bases, concealers or oily sunscreens.
- Use of hair oil & facials.
- Certain medicines like steroids.
Prevention & Care of AcneAcne can prevent by the following methods:
- Regular cleansing of the face (2 times per day) preferably with salicylic acid face wash, which removes the dirt, oil and dead layer of the skin
- Avoid procedures like facials, scrubs and cosmetics.
- Treatment of underlying dandruff on the scalp Food with high-glycemic content should be avoided.
- Manipulation increases pigmentation & scarring. In case of moderate to severe acne, not controlled with regular care, one should consult a dermatologist to prevent hyperpigmentation & scarring.